Welcome - hope you will have owls of fun, and find some inspiration too.......

Welcome - hope you will have owls of fun, and find some inspiration too.......

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Losing my mind........

Hello Friends,

So another month has passed us by and here in our treehouse life is marching on.  The kids went to Kimberley for the South African tug-of-war championships (yep........ tug-of-war is an international sport).

I have been scrapping up a storm, and have almost nothing to show you ...... yet. Me thinks I might have been overdoing it a bit as scrapping is now overtaking my dream time too, with the weirdest things happening in my sleep.  I will bore you with the two dreams I can remember........ there were more but thank goodness those I have forgotten......

So, this dream starts at my scrap table with a piece of patterned paper which refuses to be used on a layout because it rather wants to be an altered project..... The paper and I have this long conversation about how I want it for my layout as it is the only piece I have in my stash that matches my planned layout and I am not going to make an altered project soon. The paper then informs me that it must either go back to the stash or it wants a second opinion. The dream changes and the paper (buckled in it's seat) and I are traveling on an unknown road, in an unknown car to somewhere for a second opinion. Somewhere along the road the car got stopped by a correctional services van, a man got out, came to the window of the car, looked inside and sadly shook his head and said "It's too late" and walked off again....... (too late for WHAT?  me......? the piece of paper.....? Really, I wish these dreams were more specific.) The dream then changes again and we are now in an unfamiliar room having coffee with Cariena (owner of the Scrapbook Studio in Jeffrey's Bay) as she has a lengthy discussion with the paper, telling it that it pre-dates scrapbooking and there is no more of its kind, and explaining how it is much better to be cut up and placed on a layout than torn up and smothered with gesso, modge podge and texture paste.......... This is where I woke up....... thank goodness. I checked my paper stash for this demented piece of paper and am happy to say that I don't have paper looking like that........

The next night I was plagued with another dream............ So they (there is always a faceless they involved in a dream somewhere) kidnapped Batman (now really Batman.... where did that come from?)  In order for me to save Batman I must reproduce a card made by Jowilna, exactly, or else........ They only gave me a black and white copy of the card, no indication of the colour or techniques she used, no paper and no inks and no stamps. If I could not produce this card exactly and in time, they were going to cut Batman into little pieces. Me being me, got so upset and packed out my hysterical voice explaining to them that this is impossible, they are being unfair, how can they do this to Batman and me etc, etc, etc. All they had to say about my tirade was that my time was up and poor Batman lost his hand. Just like that....... chopped off. I was then informed that they would give me a second chance to save Batman. I had to crochet a cap. Once again there was no wool, no crochet hook and no pattern, not even a sample hat to show what they want ...... So off I went again losing the plot completely........ and was woken up with a steaming cup of coffee by my dearest husband. Thank goodness these were only dreams....

Another friend said it might be a good idea to quietly step away from my scrappy stuff, turn around and run because some little man with a white jacket might be looking for me.......

So back to scrapping............. hahahaha

At the end of February I attended the most spectacular scrapbook retreat. It was hosted by the Scrapbook Studio in Jeffrey's Bay. Now this retreat is going to take up a couple of blog posts to cover all we did. It was AWESOME........ both the place where it was held, as well as the teachers that shared their knowledge with us......

I will start with some of the classes done by Jowilna........ (seeing as one of her designs had a bit part in my demented dream). Jowilna loves her inks, stamps, and paints. She is really talented and has no hang-ups about sharing her knowledge with all. Always ready with a smile and a friendly word. It was great fun sitting in her classes and her notes are so easy to follow. I get a bit flabbergasted in a class when people look over my shoulder, especially if I have to stamp an image or ink up a storm, so I tend to wait till last, which means I am always a couple of steps behind. Jowilna was great and did not once hit me with a distress ink because I had questions about already covered steps. Also seeing that I never finish any projects in a class the notes are really important to me. (I love notes and instructions - even read the instructions of my iron) ...... so Jowilna.............. YOU, YOUR PROJECTS AND YOUR NOTES ROCK!!!!




These are the cards of the first class we did with Jowilna. It was loaded with new techniques to use on cards and layouts alike.




This is a double page layout we did. I have to admit, my comfortable scrapping box in which I lived was overturned and I had to scrap differently. This is good because it makes me grow in my scrapping, but boy was I one confused scrapper when I got home.  Once again Jowilna enriched our scrap-booking with shortcuts, tips and tricks and some interesting techniques to use some of the products we had not used for a long time........




Another card class - once again cards filled with techniques. We stamped, inked, splattered, cut and pasted stuff to our hearts content..........




Another layout made with stunning paper. Once again new techniques and more tips.  So much FUN!! Just don't know how I am going to remember all the stuff Jowilna taught me....

There is still two more of Jowilna's projects that I have not finished............. one layout and one mixed media canvas.

It was so nice to finish all these projects off. I enjoy doing this at home because I can have fun again, a second time around, fondly remembering all the funny things that happened and was said during those classes.

Now to those I have promised little crochet flowers.......... patience is a virtue, girls. I am getting there slowly but surely.......... LOL


The proof is in the picture....

So to all of you, thanks for stopping by, keep well until we meet again.  I hope to show you more of my work soon....



"WE ALL DIE. THE
GOAL ISN'T TO LIVE
FOREVER. THE GOAL IS TO CREATE
SOMETHING THAT
WILL."
CHUCK PALAHNIUK



Till next time...
Lee


1 comment:

  1. Lee, I love your ramblings, but really that little man with the white jackets that fasten in the back is creaping up on you faster than you think! The work you did at the retreat is amazing!

    ReplyDelete